Thursday, August 05, 2010

Love Love Love. Love is all you need...

...and all there is.
I was surprised by how deeply I was moved by the celebration in the streets for the overturning of Prop 8's anti-gay marriage Californian clusterfuck.  I was chatting with a guy from Ames, Iowa (home to 'Pajama Game' cornfed folk--who COULD get married in their state...Where the FUCK had we gone wrong?), and he was nonchallant about Iowa's fair play.  In any event, however we got there, WELL DONE California.  It took you a while, but you came around to social justice.
When the proposition was up at bat before, I was kind of apathetic as I was fighting for my life in our broken healthcare system.  Yeah, tell me I can't marry and it will hurt my feelings and get my hackles up, but tell me I can't have healthcare and it potentially ends my life.  Very quickly.  Exhausted from a decade of having to justify my exisitence and right to it, I kind of equated the two issues as , "Would you like air to breathe or a comfey velvet snuggie? Your choice."  The two issues were miles apart.  In the immediacy of crappy health and no access to treatment, they seemed so.  But in reality, they were not.
No one, no ONE, in America should ever be made to feel less than.  We are equal, beautiful, vital parts of the whole.  The issue of marriage and the denial of the opportunity boils down to religion driven-, fear based bullying and bigotry.  I kind of think if Jesus were to meet the buffoons condemning His people in His name, He'd just shake his head, sigh and say, "Moby was right.  Everything is wrong."
How could religion, in good conscience, deny anyone the ability to sanctify and legally protect their union?  Spirit is expansive, inclusive and made at its very core of the soul sole ingredient of ALL--love. To legally deny love the right to exist is as senseless as a Britney Spears hit.  Just utter nonsense.
Tonight, as I wiped back tears at the surprising emotional tsunami I felt, I actually thought, "Wow.  Not that anyone could stomach the thought of a lifetime of me, it sure is nice to have the option..."  {well, actually, the one I'd choose would rather have an unanaesthantized root canal than imagine a lifetime of me, but such is life...}
Knowing that I could have the right to legally and spiritually announce and protect my love, just like everyone else in America, made me happy, peaceful and no longer a sad member of the Less Than- demographic I had previously been designated to.
For today, social justice won the day and said, in a clear and loud voice, all people are created equal and shall be treated as such.

Wow, that rings a bell.  Novel concept, huh?